menu icon close menu icon

腾讯天天彩票:Talofofo

The municipality of Talofofo is located in south-central Guam on the eastern coast of the island. The area extends from the shore and deep into the interior valleys along the Ugum and Talofofo Rivers.

The name of the ancient village of Talofofo probably has its origin from the phrase “entalo’ i fe’fo’,” which means “between the cliffs,” or even from the word “fo’fo’,” which means a bubbling stream.

Archeologists believe most of the pre-Spanish era inhabitants lived in settlements along the Ugum and Talofofo Rivers. Artifacts in the Talofofo Caves indicate these sites were occupied and used as well, if only seasonally or for short periods at a time.

After the Spanish reducción of the late 1600s which displaced the Chamorro natives from the northern villages and the other Mariana Islands, the residents of Talofofo were presumably shifted to Inarajan and the main village was abandoned.

Years before the first American administration of Guam in the early 1900s, people had already been moving back into the Talofofo area to farm and hunt. Small plantations had been set up along the valley of the Talofofo River. Latte sites, however, still were visible in different parts of the valley, but were largely avoided. In 1912, a chapel supposedly was built close to the mouth of the Talofofo River. By 1918, the Naval governor William Gilmer appointed a commissioner for Talofofo, and the residents decided to move their village up to the plateau.

Although Talofofo was previously considered part of Inarajan by January 1931, Inarajan was divided into two districts. Talofofo was designated north of the Talofofo, Ugum, As Mulato and Atate Rivers, while the district of Inarajan was to the south. However, the area remained largely unoccupied, with few houses, and used mostly as ranch land.

During World War II, Talofofo Bay was one of the landing points for the invading Japanese forces on 10 December 1941, although the original landing site was supposed to be Ylig Bay. By 1944, the Japanese had begun to fortify the island in anticipation of the arrival of American forces, and built gun placements and pillboxes in the cliffs near the bay.

After the war, the American military government built the new community of Talofofo in the hills where it now stands.

Tourist attractions in Talofofo include the jungle riverboat cruise which transports visitors inland from Talofofo Bay to a cultural village display and latte site. The inland hills are also popular for hiking and off-roading activities.

  • 5月全国规模以上家居卖场销售911.1亿元 2019-03-26
  • 故宫招募文物修复志愿者值得点赞 2019-03-26
  • 天津大学:“四个服务”是一流大学的新时代使命 2019-03-25
  • 西乡县沙河社区内道路成了驾校教练场 2019-03-25
  • [雷人]中国人啥不炒?古董、字画、票证、君子兰、普洱茶、大蒜……凡是有较长保存时间的东西,都有人炒! 2019-03-24
  • 将“最多跑一次”改革进行到底 2019-03-24
  • 陶峙岳上将率部起义之前 如何处置反对起义的部将 2019-03-23
  • 炒作“中国军事威胁”是枉费心机 2019-03-23
  • 日本核爆受害者启动环球航海 呼吁废核 2019-03-22
  • 四大名著剧组首次同台忆往事 经典影视剧如何铸就 2019-03-21
  • 山西首届百名金牌导游大赛太原选拔赛3月8日鸣锣 2019-03-21
  • 蚌埠市龙子湖区纪委监委严防“四风”问题反弹 2019-03-20
  • 暗访后,记者随国家抽查组摸排“地条钢” 2019-03-20
  • “龙藏情缘”原创歌曲征集大赛活动启幕 2019-03-19
  • 帕隆藏布的专栏作者中国国家地理网 2019-03-19
  • 335| 845| 903| 826| 372| 87| 409| 791| 871| 976|